Here are quick and inexpensive solutions to help “harden” our schools against a mass shooting.
- Remove the “No Guns Allowed” and “Gun-Free Zone” signs and replace them with signs which say, “Authorized Armed Personnel on Premises”. 90+ percent of all mass shootings have taken place in a Gun Free Zone because it is a “soft target”.
- Then, have a law enforcement officer (town or county) alternate between schools and patrol them, randomly. They check in with the front desk when they arrive and make a walk-through to let everyone know there is an armed law-enforcement officer on the premises. If students see them every day they will feel safer. Potential shooters will be discouraged from targeting this location.
- Allow retired law enforcement or military or other qualified individuals to volunteer to patrol each school. They will be in plain clothing with concealed carry so as not to draw attention to themselves. They visit according to an organized schedule, an hour or two a day each. They will get to know the kids and develop an affection for them. A small stipend could be authorized as compensation to them for their service, if budget allows.
- Allow teachers and staff who wish to volunteer to also carry.
- All volunteers will be properly vetted and tested by law enforcement and school board to make sure they are competent.
- Intensive training for these volunteers and law enforcement will be provided free by website FasterSavesLives.org. They have online training specifically formulated for school safety and what to do in case a mass shooting occurs.
These are positive steps which can be implemented relatively quickly and inexpensively.
Please share these suggestions with local law enforcement and school boards.
Thank you for your careful consideration of this solution.
Maury Jones “Jonesy”